Littelfuse, a leading provider of circuit protection solutions, has announced the launch of TTape, a groundbreaking overtemperature detection platform designed to revolutionize the management of Li-ion battery systems in electric vehicles (EVs) and beyond.
TTape boasts advanced features and unparalleled advantages, aiming to effectively manage early cell ageing in-vehicle systems and mitigate the risks associated with thermal runaway events. This innovative solution is tailored for various applications, including electric and hybrid electric vehicles, commercial transport, and Energy Storage Systems (ESS).
Key Features and Advantages:
- Management of Premature Cell Aging: TTape assists vehicle systems in addressing premature cell ageing, significantly reducing the risks associated with thermal runaway events.
- Extended Battery Pack Lifespan: By initiating temperature management at an early stage, TTape extends the operational life of battery packs.
- Comprehensive Multi-cell Monitoring: A single TTape unit can monitor multiple cells, providing early alerts to the Battery Management System (BMS) in overtemperature situations.
- Rapid Response Time: With an ultra-fast response time of under one second, TTape ensures prompt notifications during the initial stages of potential thermal runaway conditions.
- Effortless Integration: TTape seamlessly integrates into existing BMS setups without the need for calibration, making it an ideal choice for various battery applications.
TTape’s thin design allows for conformal installations and is equipped with a single MCU input, enhancing the detection of localized cell overheating through distributed temperature monitoring. This innovative technology enables more efficient cooling measures, extending battery life and improving overall safety.
Positioned as a transformative product for the Li-ion battery pack market, TTape emphasizes safety and efficiency as the industry moves towards more sustainable energy solutions. Tong Kiang Poo, Global Product Manager at Littelfuse, highlighted TTape’s advantages over traditional NTCs, emphasizing its quicker alerts to the BMS and improved overheating detection capabilities.
TTape is now available in both tape and reel or box packaging options, with samples accessible through authorized distributors worldwide. Littelfuse’s introduction of the Distributed Temperature Monitoring Platform marks a significant milestone in the industry, showcasing the company’s commitment to innovation and quality in advancing battery management solutions for electric vehicles.