In a remarkable shift from its smartphone roots, Xiaomi has officially entered the automotive industry, introducing its inaugural electric vehicle (EV), the Xiaomi SU7. The Xiaomi EV Technology Launch showcased the company’s commitment to redefining the automotive landscape through five cutting-edge core technologies.
Investing over 10 billion CNY in research and development, Xiaomi engaged a global team of 3,400 engineers and technical experts in a bottom-up approach. The result is the Xiaomi SU7, positioned as a ‘full-size high-performance eco-technology sedan’ and unveiled during the pre-launch event, emphasizing design, performance, range, and safety features.
Xiaomi’s founder and CEO, Lei Jun, underscored the company’s long-term commitment to the automotive industry and its deep investment in foundational core technologies. The event highlighted key innovations, including:
- E-Motor Technology: Featuring HyperEngine V6/V6s and HyperEngine V8s, setting global records for E-motor speed, output, and torque.
- Battery Technology: Introducing CTB Integrated Battery with Inverted Cell Technology, achieving a global high of 77.8% battery integration efficiency.
- Die-Casting Technology: Showcasing T9100 cluster and Xiaomi Titans Metal, demonstrating proficiency in large die-casting and materials research.
- Autonomous Driving Technology: Presenting Adaptive BEV Technology, Road-Mapping Foundational Model, and Super-Res Occupancy Network Technology, showcasing Xiaomi’s leadership in intelligent software.
- Smart Cabin Technology: Adopting a ‘human-centric’ interaction architecture with multiple screens, including a 16.1-inch 3K central console and a 56-inch HUD head-up display, integrating mainstream applications and supporting over 1000 Xiaomi smart home devices.
Lei Jun expressed Xiaomi’s goal of crafting a dream car for the new era, focusing on aesthetics, driving enjoyment, comfort, intelligence, and safety. The Xiaomi SU7 aims to provide a comprehensive mobile smart space experience, pushing the boundaries of performance and eco-technology.
The Xiaomi EV launch marks a new beginning for the company, reflecting its vision for the future of smart electric vehicles and the completion of the ‘Human x Car x Home’ smart ecosystem. Xiaomi aims to be among the top five global automakers through continuous innovation and investment in foundational technologies over the next 15 to 20 years.